Friday, April 3, 2009

One Quarter Thinking

Hello! *looks at date* well see there I squeaked this entry in under the Wow its been a month since I last wrote line :) Thank you to all of you who faithfully continue to read my rambles I apprecaite you greatly!

Okay so its taken a few weeks , I admit to some distractions and some real life agendas keeping me busy a blog topic idea hadnt yet struck me however today ......it did! and without haste here I am to share it all with you :)

Here in my town, I'm sure probably in yours too , we have a food store that has shopping carts you must pay a quarter to use and are returned your quarter upon returning the cart. A nice idea that cuts down on those unreturned carts that dent cars in the lot . Well today as I walked up to slide my quarter * which I spent 5 minutes trying to find in my purse* .. into the slot I noticed there was one already there!! A free cart! well its free anyway as you get your quarter back when you return it but ... a step in my procedure saved.. that little thing ...that made a smile !!! I looked around for an absent minded shopper to call out but I was alone. Just the shopping carts and I . I took the cart , grinning for that hey that was nice moment ... and went into the store. I did my shopping and loaded the items in my car... returning the cart to the outdoor collection area I by habit took the quarter out and pocketed it as I walked to my car.

Three steps later my concience taps me on the shoulder and I am reminded of the great feeling " I " had in finding a quarter already there so I turned around and walked back...reinserting the quarter in the slot . Driving home this thought hit me ...........what would most do ? Would they take the 25 cents? would it be by habit? by greed? by need ? what would you do if it were you?

Thanks for reading :D

A penny saved
is a penny earned
a quarter found
is a lesson learned

instant feel good
thrill was had
by thoughtful someone
or forgetfully sad

what would you do
if morals are in question
would it be an action
you'd be proud to mention

Thanks again for reading !

3 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

That is a real nice gesture, sort of like a pay-it-forward action, too! I like to leave change in the vending machine, if I don't need it, because I figure the next person will be pleasantly surprised, and it might improve their day :)

We don't have payments for grocery carts at stores around here, they just make some poor schlep who works there have "cart duty" :) I've seen them though, at the airport and such!

April 6, 2009 at 3:23:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Cutter said...

This reminds me of something I read somewhere, about doing something unexpected, like paying for the cup of coffee the person behind you is buying. It's hard to do when times are tough, but the payoff might well be worth it.

Thanks for reminding me Rosa!

April 8, 2009 at 9:46:00 AM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

I've seen these cart locks in NY, but not here or in Florida. It's a great idea. I've often wondered whether a quarter was enough to inspire someone to bring back the cart. I'd imagine an entrepreneurial kid could make a few bucks returning the carts to their "home".

Good on you for leaving the quarter. It's one of those things I'd do if it occurred to me, or otherwise think as I drove away, "I should have...". I'm much better at choosing the right thing than I am at thinking through the list of options to find that right thing, I have to admit.

Wonderful post as always, Rosa!

April 14, 2009 at 2:55:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home