Friday, November 14, 2008

Color Blind.....

Is it just me or for the past several numerous years have we listened to politicians preach to us about being color blind? Wasnt that a lesson we as people were taught since civil rights.. to ignore the color of skin.. .to embrace one race.. the HUMAN race.. I think that was the overall concept conveyed by some of our countrys more prominant leaders right? So my question is
in all that energy spent on obsolving segregation and promoting one unified race.. of humankind.. why was the vast majority of the headlines regarding the United States Presidental race all screaming " FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT!" ??? Any thoughts?


Color Blind:

Red or white
yellow or black
were taught that color
is not where its at.

Man is man
or so they say
the color he is
should not convey

when i voted
for presidents position
the color of their skin
was not in my opinion.

So why when Obama
takes the title earned
the color of his skin
most headlines now spurn.

Thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger Coyote said...

Well, perhaps this is a step that will help us reach that lofty goal. Plenty of black people can tell you we're nowhere near it yet.

I listened to this story on NPR this morning, and I had to smile at Mr. Smith's remark: "I looked it like something. I feel like the president."

November 14, 2008 at 12:55:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jaycatt said...

My thoughts when I hear people focus on the idea that it's the "first black President" is that they aren't so much thinking of the ethnicity of Obama, but more what they feel is the ideal of this country. The American Dream, and all that. The belief that anyone can make a place for themselves here regardless of who they are. Well, having a black President really drives that point home, for a lot of people, given our history with segregation. So, I like to think it sends that American Dream message more strongly than ever, to people who still believe it isn't possible to make something of yourself.

November 14, 2008 at 1:01:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home