Friday, November 14, 2008

Reality Bytes....

We see articles and hear stories all the time about those who indulge in the internet and get swept away to lose touch with reality.. it bites hard on the life
you knew and disillusions you to feeling your virtual reality is reality. I have to say after nearly five years living in both worlds.. I can neither fully agree or disagree with ither of those broad statements.

When I first came to indulging a online game my real life was not in any serious turmoil, it was a suggestion to "talk to folks" give a online game a try.
Being a social type of person, I took to this bonified "chat room" like a fish to water. I enjoyed the interactive banter, the thrill of kind hearted text statements causing smiles in others. It was fun. It was in moderation. It was good.

However, in the four plus years I have participated in online games I have seen many a friend fall victim to some level of online addiction. I upon recent hard look at my own life the past four years would have to in all honesty claim I am probably one among them.

Initally online socializing was not in seeking anything other than simple curiousity to see what its all about.. time passes and life changes as it always does and suddenly that moderate log on.. turns into a daily occurance in seeking that self esteem boost that real life no longer brings... and time passes.. to the point you
wish your real life held the same happy group of souls your virtual life does..

you develop emotions and attachments to people in manners You convince yourself are geniune....real.... and for some cases... it really is ... but in some.. when real life deals a blow that sets you reeling... having your best friends be thousands of miles away.. makes that need for a shoulder to lean on a bit more difficult. And if you fall in love... reality can certianly come bite you hard in its reminder.. your relationship as real as it feels, and seems...and you believed... is nothing more than im's and pixels bridging two lonely souls in virtual space.

Im not in any way saying real life and virtual life cant both be shared and enjoyed in healthy moderation.. and for most of the worlds gamers.. that is a good working chemistry and I would be the last person to discount the importance of virtually made friends impacting your life happily! However, just caution any of you who, like me, find all the best friends all around the world being the sweet treasure they are to your life... just cant be there when you need that real life contact.

INDULGE in games!! ENJOY and have fun!!! I whole heartedly encourage that as I did find a bounty of great blessings in my times I dipped a toe into virtual reality!! But just be cautious in doing so is my point of this post ... keep a perspective of
whats real and give some time to reality's presence too, and its my hope any of you reading this will be spared a reality byte :D

Todays Poem:

Reality Byte pretend or real
the warmth of friendship is what I feel
addiction or attention daily gave
bonded friendships is what I made

sincere meant joy each log in gained
or real lifes attentions unintenitonally refrained
moderation, jubilation can be shared by all
too much of one or the other and happiness will fall

Onliners enjoy each moment
be it the day or night
but keep a realistic eye out
to avoid Reality Byte!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

What a wonderful post, and very true as well... Online relationships are fulfilling in their own way, but they are certainly not a substitute for real life interactions with people. I treasure the connections I've made with people I know online, because otherwise there would have been no way to know them at all. What a scary thought; to not have the online friends I have and the narrow world view I once only knew!

However, what really centers me and keeps me whole are the relationships I've formed offline. People like Frogg, who I can share a music and emotional bond. And people like Hunter, who I can love and be loved back, and express it in ways only an offline relationship can.

Find a balance, and you have the best of both worlds. :)

November 14, 2008 at 12:55:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home