Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Life's Thrills

Hello!!

Yep! Inspiration for a post has hit me at last and the consequence I pay for such a long dry spell? I'd forgotten my password for this blog! ha ha But persistence prevails and here is that wayward ramble rattling about my head long enough to post it to blog :D

Life's thrills- Those pinnacle moments in one's life that mark a notch in your heart and mind far exceeding the other highs and lows that occur in living. For example, your first kiss, a heartache,loss of virginity, the birth of a child, not necessarily a major moment in standard sense of life ... as my examples may imply.. but a moment in life to you personally that ascends to that highest level obtainable to be both sentimental and memorable for eternity to you. Those moments that..change you.

I have pondered my moments of life these past * insert number here * years and call it age or call it life's changes bringing forth a melancholy reminiscence of things, I began to wonder how interesting it would be to learn of what is a life's thrill to others.

I have had the standard example of course of first kiss, birth of my two sons, loss of family, death of marriage.. those moments of extreme high or low that stick with you for life. But I have also had monumental life thrill as in the night I heard David Csiszer perform "Simple Kindness" for the first time. To hear something I had written from my heart be sung to such fantastic musical melody.. a song born from friendship... That was a Life Thrill.

The very moment I stepped through customs and onto Australian soil having gone alone and succeeded is a moment I shall always recall with all the thrill as the moment it first occurred. My journey to Winnipeg as well as my first visit to Oregon to see Jaycatt and our first face to face moment in the airport is a moment in life I shan't ne'er forget. ...Bothell moments... Also, seeing my Father suffer his heart attack in front of me and my frozen inability to move as I watched my brother and Aunt do CPR on him a moment of time intense in my life. Reciting my poetry live in SL the first time was a thrill in life that reached that peak level. DJ-ing for the first time, and more recently my decision to move brought me such a moment. To venture away from old and the norm.. to fresh beginning of unknown.

We all have memories.. childhood stories, adolescent adventures, and grown up life tales the highs and lows of living but how many have those moments set higher ...or sadly lower.. than the rest? What are some of your life's thrills?

Life's Thrills:

Moments of time captured to heart
memories of feelings ne'er to part
snapshots of impact nothing can kill
cherish forever your life's thrill

Highs and lows the moments that change you
recalled in the mind most clearest in view
great joy and elation felt at its peak
or moments so low, no words to speak

minds memory hearts elation's
recalling feelings of times creation
personal scrapbook of life to fill
cherish forever your life's thrill

Have a wonderful day and thanks for reading

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

What a wonderful post! It got me thinking of my own life's thrills:

The van ride after I arrived in Istanbul after a long flight and realized I wasn't in Kansas (or Oregon) anymore

Being told my mother died and seeing her on the operating table, and immediately afterwards hugging my father (we hadn't hugged more than once or twice in my life before then)

Playing in RL in front of a crowd who actually was there to hear me play

Stepping off the plane and seeing Hunter for the first time

Seeing Rosa for the first time and getting that first RL hug :)

The first night in my new house and the thought "this is MINE and it is AWESOME"

Going to Paulina Peak with Frogg on a cloudy miserable day, and sitting on the edge just as the clouds cleared, and being able to see forever

May 18, 2010 at 2:49:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to blog world, Rosa! (Shucks, now I'll have to blog again, too!) :-) And what a great post!

Thinking about the highs and lows in my life, it seems to me that I have a bad memory for the lows. Or at least I don't think about them often, though I do remember them. Some of my more recent absolute low points you already know about - they had to do with SL, and I've blogged about them.

Others had to do with my children: the moment I backed my car out of the garage and felt an unusual bump. The next moment, my wife came running out of the house, screaming that I had run over our one-year-old daughter.

The immense relief shortly afterwards when the doctors told us there was nothing wrong with her except a broken arm was surely one of the absolute highs.

The most devastating moment of all probably was when I got the news that my then nine-year-old son had a brain tumor. Relief came after that, too, but not as a peak moment. It was more like a gradually rising slope from despair to hope and, finally, gratitude for his recovery. Still, seeing the young man he has become even now sometimes fills me with such utter joy that those moments may well be numbered among my all-time highs.

Another high point was the moment I moved into my first own apartment.

Or, many years later, the moment we got the news that we could buy the house we've been living in for ten years now.

Opening the letter that informed me I'd been accepted for the one-year Munich screenwriting workshop.

Stepping over the crest of a hill after a four-day hike and seeing Machu Picchu spreading out before me.

That eerie, magical moment when I was 19, returning to my cheap Arab hotel at 5am one morning from a Purim party in Jerusalem. Just as I was approaching the city gate next to the Wailing Wall, a faint muezzin's voice began calling the faithful to morning prayer on a far hill to my right. One by one, other voices on other hills all around chimed in, building up to a rousing crescendo, until finally, nearest and loudest of all, the call from the Temple Mount high above me joined in as I stood transfixed on the Western Wall Plaza.

*Sigh* I have to stop now, or I won't get any work done today. :-) Thanks for making me think of these things!

May 19, 2010 at 2:33:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home