Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Handle Writ Care

Hello!

I'd been in my new home about three months when I finally got around to sorting out the last box of "stuff" I'd brought from my old home. The box contained photos of family, various saved holiday and birthday cards with loved ones penned signature, and odd collection of "what was I thinking saving this" items.. however deep in the contents I came across a stack of envelopes with a small balloon string holding them all in place. I didn't know it at the time, but this would prove to be one of my greatest rediscovered treasures.

Inside the envelopes were letters from my Father, all hand written and shared at a time he had recently moved out of state and was corresponding home. His content was generic in its ..exact details and yet specific for matters of his point of view on tackling the issues of life he faced then, coping with distance from his family, the sights and sounds of a new place.

As I sat and read each letter, I marveled at how this small effort of a note hand written from my Father could a decade after his passing still bring me such comfort and joy. Would I have found equal happiness in a typed out correspondence... perhaps some but it was seeing my Fathers handwriting that touched me.. I gazed upon the paragraphs of his needing to get the trucks oil changed soon, and how the forecast called for more sunny days and mild temperatures ( Dad's sense of humor in letters home in December ) I read about the couple in trailer next door who's dog had a limp from fight with another critter.. in each letter Dad offers advice generic style ..."That issue you wrote about facing dear daughter"..and then just as generic styled offers his advice... " when you have confidence to stand firmly upon your own two feet, only then do you posses the strength to face the hurdles of what life has dealt you " I sat on floor of my apartment.. dumbfounded .. amazed... how a letter written 10+ years ago could still apply to what I'm facing now. I mulled this over for several days on how I could pass on this positive and thus this blog idea was born.

It's that time of year when we package, ship, and send abundances of packed up treasures to those we know and love for holiday cheer. In our haste to abide by the hustle and bustle of season, so many of us pick up store bought cards and quickly scribble our name at the bottom.. the purpose of today's post is to share that it isn't always the store bought gifts that bring the greatest wealth of treasures.


In a time of emails, text messages, fax, web cams , all menagerie of electronic instantaneous communication.. the hand written form is fading.I believe that instant communication has its place and does indeed better our way of life, but encourage you to also believe that the treasure of a hand written letter should never fade and fall out of practice. In this new year to come as you bustle to and fro in your rush of daily lives.. take just a moment to think of someone you care about ..sit down and pen them a few lines .. share the mundane business of what you think is important and know that quite possibly that small bit of time to talk about your take on handling life's experience's could be a important life treasure. Besides just think of the smile it might generate to find a "letter" in the mail amongst all the bills :))

Today's Poem:

When the world moves fast
and instant is eased
least not forget
tis another text to please

hand written dialog
just saying hello
may prove to be
a life's treasure you know


paper and pen
tools to make life better
for nothing makes me smile
like receiving a letter
( c ) Rosa Gardner

Thanks for reading! Have a great day :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Chilovik Thor said...

Rosa, your ramblings are delightful, and I especially enjoy your poetry. Thanks for Sharing...

January 30, 2011 at 2:08:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home