Saturday, November 25, 2006

Beauty

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"- I've always loved this phrase :)


Beauty............so many meanings for one single word.

What is beauty? Physical definition society might try to describe it as the preverbial Barbie doll appearance, the flawless skin, hourglass figure, long flowing perfect hair and gravity defying perkiness :D But then again this is the real world and I'm far from meeting the Barbie standard. Beauty isnt a word that comes to mind when I face my image in the mirror each morning... with my impressive case of bedhead wildly flowing in chaotic directions, my hourglass figure?...perhaps better viewed with a wide angle lens and as for defied gravity...I lost that battle long ago lol... so it truly makes me smile when my husband can gaze upon all these features and say " Hi Beautiful".

I can remember when 911 attack happened, all the carnage and horror of that day .. the sheer chaos of the streets smothered in debris and dirt yet there in the midst of it , to some beholders, there it was .. beauty. Beauty in the courage of total strangers to risk their lives to aid and assist, beauty in the lives of the people who survived and in the compassion they gave to the loved ones of those who didnt.

Beauty is in the sweet slumber of a newborn baby, and in the legacy of a long and happy lived life :) Beauty is the homecooked meal you didnt have to make yourself, and its the happiness found and cherished from sharing the company of dear friends.

In keeping with my tradition of a poem per entry below is todays selection, its about one of the places I found beauty in my life. What is Beauty in yours??

Poem: Daniel's Flowers

On Monday he brought a dandellion
and placed it in my hand
to others it's just a weed
to me it's truly grand

On Tuesday he brought a daffodil
he'd picked from at our place
the flower was quite lovely
but the beauty was on Daniels face

On Wednesday he brought a pink rose
he'd broken off my bush
although I wasn't thrilled with the how
the why just made me gush!

On Thursday he brought me wisher weeds
just an old dandellion to others
a simple fluffy ball of puff
a loving gift to his Mother

On Friday he brought me acorns
and asked if we'd plant them in the ground
he said they'd grow to be a tree
we's someday play around

On Saturday he brought a leaf
so big and very green
to some its just a broken leaf
but its the best leaf I've ever seen!

On Sunday when I looked around
all the wonder of God's powers
so much beauty in this world
and I've found mine in
Daniels Flowers.

Thanks for reading!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

You are such a wonderful poet Rosa... :) I think that's my favorite part of reading your blog entries... A poem, when done well like yours are, is also a thing of beauty. A poem is not just a way to express an idea, but it's the way it's expressed that matters; the turn of phrase, the use of emotionally charged words, and the idea of what is meant rather than the plain naked truth of the idea. A good poem makes you think and smile at the same time :)

November 28, 2006 at 2:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

What your husband sees in you when he says "Hi, Beautiful" is very obvious to me. :)

What a wonderful poem, and what a wonderful Mom to have written it!

November 28, 2006 at 6:38:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home