Thursday, January 4, 2007

Change

I guess change has always been around.. with each new practical invention.. we latch onto a preceived easier way of life and the old way is often obsolete.. how many still watch a black and white television.. a hand written letter sadly is becoming a lost pleasure with the ease of emails. Fashion trends come and go and we ebb and flow with the change. Most changes are subtle ..and we dont notice or feel the impact as much like daylight disappearing as the sun sets, we know its happening but its gradual..we are ready for the change.. Sometimes change can come quickly and catch you off guard like a loss of a loved one.. and you scramble to adapt. Change is inevitably always good, it makes life eaiser.. or if its made life harder it makes you a stronger person for copeing... and anytime self improvement comes thats a good change. I have had both kinds of change in my life the gradual ones I've dealt with just fine.. slow.. gradual.. accepted. The sudden ones, as in the loss of my Dad,and most recently my brother, milestones in life being reached, routines being changed, as well as the highs and lows of friendships have been harder to accept, I get caught up in the fight to preserve the old way and lose sight of the truth to that old cliche' I remember it being taught to me as a religious guidance so my apologies if I misquote.. "When God closes a door, he opens a window" Ive been dealing with many new changes and where knowing they're all good, I was still lost in the fight to keep the "old way" .. if change comes to your life.. embrace it, know that even in sad reactions your getting a positive.. your stronger and somewhere theres a window of opportunity opened awaiting your next new adventure!!

Thank you for reading!

Todays Poem:

When my Father wanted to sell the house I'd grown up in, a mobile home wed built onto as budget allowed, my "home" I was inspired to write this ode to say goodbye, its a bit on the lengthy side so better bring some popcorn along :)

Farewell

I found you when you were so small
but still there was room for us all
you protected us well my friend
we were safe and dry from end to end

nailing, pounding, pampering, painting
you stood tall and firm never once waining
all around you we placed in the land
trees and flowers all done by hand

you sheltered them and protected them
and happily watched as we tended them
you watched us grow from year to year
we all grew up and not once did you hear

Thank you for all you did
my safe friend when I was a kid
holder of my memories, keeper of my heart
it is so hard knowing we must now part

no longer will i feel the warm safety of your walls
or go bumpty bump down your thin halls
Ill no longer be in your charm and grace
no longer walk into that happy place

you'll soon see new people inside your walls
still you'll have room for them all
and with luck and blessings too
your new family wil be just as nice to you

Just as nice as the owners of late
who created in you such a nice place
Take Care of your new family and please dont sway
stand tall and firm as in years of yesterday

You'll live always in my memories
and in all those I've known
I will never forget you ever
my very happy "home".

April- 1995

Yeah Im sappy I loved the house! But I realize its the people inside it that made it a happy home. Thanks for reading !

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

Wonderful poem as always hon :) You have a very personal view of the world, and it's a beautiful thing to get a glimpse of it in your poetry.

I've never been a big fan of change, myself. I tend to grasp onto routines, and they comfort me somehow. They say "one in the hand is worth two in the bush", and I guess that's been my philosophy too.

January 4, 2007 at 12:54:00 PM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

My philosophy about change is that it's going to happen, and you need to resign yourself to it. Not in the "just deal with it" sense, but in the "worry won't help you" sense. I think it's important to grasp onto what you can control and free yourself of what you cannot (the "serenity" prayer comes to mind).

You certainly *do* have a way with poetry! It's so hard to know that another family will be living in "your home"... changing everything that was normal to you. I remember the same feelings when Mom and Dad sold our old house. One more thing we have in common!

January 7, 2007 at 10:17:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home