Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Courage

What is your idea of courage? Whats a good example to you of something courageous? Could it be the soliders who are in Iraq fighting to defend our land ? Or those who protest in political rings rallying for rights and laws to improve or empower unjust circumstance or positions? Is it the first time parents be it by birth or adoption, to take on the commitment of caring for another life? Standing up to a bully in youth or adulthood, or taking that first drive with your oldest child just learning to drive ? Where is that line between courage and stupidity? Is a daredevil courageous or insane? Is a good smaritain that runs into a burning building to save a pet a helpful bystander or a crazy idiot?

I have faced something similiar in my own life as far as that fine line. I play a online game called Second Life ( www.secondlife.com ) and met two wonderful friends in the course of playing. I have always had a great fear of flying .. that thought of being trapped in a metal container so high in the sky..no options to escape.. in a train or car you can go out a window.. in a boat you can swim away.. in all you could phone for rescue but a plane .. was placing trust of your life in the pilot and the mechanics of the craft with no rescue plan. As I grew to know my friends in Second Life it was suggested to meet in real life outside of the internet constraints. Being that they were from Sydney, Australia this had me facing a great fear!! I'd have to fly! I had always traveled with a family member .. never despite my growing age, had I traveled anywhere alone.. yet here I was about to take the journey of my lifetime. I will post exerts of that journey in this blog later .. but for this posts purpose its mentioned to say.. Some thought I was crazy.. to fly across an ocean to meet two people I'd only ever known over a internet connection. And some including myself , viewed it as a big step of courage! I'm delighted to say the trip was a huge success and one I'll cherish all my life. My point is .. courage could be anything from journey across an ocean to taking that first step again after a fall , what is courage to you ??


Todays Poem:
The Holidays are wonderful time to enjoy friends and familiy , depite his being gone five years now.. the holidays still seemed empty without my Dad, this poem is for him

Into my life there came a man
a rock he was to me
raising me with wise advice
and love abundantly

I didn't lack for discipline
the word patience he defined
he had a way of teaching me
a blend of stern and kind

throughout my many years of youth
he was always there for me
offering his guideance
and support unwaveringly

and as I grew to be full grown
this man I'd come to see
he had grown himself you know
he was a great friend to me

Through my lifes trials
my rock stood firm for me
humor,love, and wisdom
he passed on these legacy's

it's so hard to say goodbye
one last "HUG" and love you lots
I will miss your being here
my good friend, my Dad, my rock

But our Lord has called you home
I'll be sad, for it is tough
You see, where I looked and found a rock ...
God saw a diamond in the rough.


Thank you for reading!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

Courage... Hmm ;) I never really thought about it before! But I guess to me, it means doing what you feel is right and necessary even though it's not the easiest path. Standing up for a friend in the face of ridicule would be one example; one that I've faced a few times in my day. It could also mean the courage to take the first step towards something wonderful, even if you could get shot down in the attempt. I shudder to think of how many people I hold dear, that I may never have gotten to know, had I not taken that first step!

Thanks for a wonderful thought for the day, and a beautiful poem like always :)

December 26, 2006 at 8:02:00 PM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

I think this is my favorite of all your posts so far. I think it's fantastic that you could fly all the way to Australia to meet up with some online friends.

To follow up on Jay's comment... that first step is often as far as the courage has to go to start the ball rolling. Getting on that plane, for example. After that, you were on your way! Fastening yourself into the rollercoaster (far more trivial, but same concept).

My best venture was walking out the door of my job to go to school. My strongest was standing trial facing the man who shot me in the back (and his family, who were all of the same moral fiber and free to go afterward).

I can't wait to hear more about your trip to Australia... I know you have so much more to share.

December 29, 2006 at 12:21:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say my usual smart ass kind of comment on a blog, but, I can't. Rosa, that poem made me cry. In fact, I still am a little teary. My Dad and I have a very special relationship and I am so sorry for your loss. It must be hard during the holidays......

OK, I have recovered. Whew. I do have a smart mouth comment about courage. In Texas, courage is a very easy concept. If you are a Texan, courage comes in a bottle!

December 31, 2006 at 2:20:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home