Monday, January 29, 2007

Grocery Shopping

This weekend I went grocery shopping, you would think this a pretty mundane expierence. Go to the store , place items in the cart, purchase, and go home. But life has a sense of humor, or I do.. and a normal mundane task became a grand adventure :)

The day began with a quest.. donned in my jeans and sweatshirt I found myself immersed in the first step of the journey... the search for "the keys" .. yes this was a difficult task, I had to face great perils in this quest.. the walk of remembrance.... doing laps in my house in hopes the little gray cells would kick start as to where Id left them last... the hard fought battle against the collectible.. that one entity in the home that seems to be the catch all for all small loose items that disappear... otherwise known as .. the sofa... at last in the pocket of my lighter coat I would claim victory at finding the missing key!! *Silly Michigan weather*

Phase Two:

I ventured out into the cold.. this is not an expression it was freaking cold this weekend!! and the next phase of my journey.. this task in laymans terms was remove snow and ice layers from the car.....but it was an aerobic workout and endless loop of physical ran through my mind as I unburried and scraped the cars windows..

Phase Three:

Driving to the store..what is it about driving a car that can change the most mild mannered person into mario andretti? Sitting at the stoplight the car in front of me a black suv.. then me.. then a car behind me a little two door red flashy type model.. the light turns green.. we sit.. for about 10 seconds.. and the red flashy sports car honks horn...what purpose does this serve? Is the driver living in some denial state that impossibilites can come true.. like I could drive through the car in front of me like it was phantom.. and let him on his merry way? Trying to see the brightside.. I simply rolled down my window and waved at the impatient man. funny how that didn't seem to make him happy. I always love a good wave :)

Phase Four:

Entering the store is like a military covert operation..carts at 9 o'clock..
products fill the layout.. must focus on mission.. supply list in hand.. I set out..
delay number one.. a sweet old lady in a motorized cart.. who happens to want to head in same direction as me.. I dodge.. she weaves.. we end up in this to and fro dance in the middle of the entrance.. till I finally say.. you first.. and hold my ground as the lady rolls away..second delay, traffic jam.. a collection of shoppers who know each other but not often enough to keep up and immediate shopping stoppage occurs to stand and chat.. bypassing this jam I enevitably always end up with added items in my cart from the "ooo! that looks good :) " impulse buys. swiftly I complete supplies collection and make my way to the purchase line.. the eye is quickly darting from line to line.. which is the shortest.. which is the longest.. a lady of little patience is being very vocal as to her displeasure at the five minutes she must wait in line, shes vocalizing her presence to the cashier and anyone else in unfortunate earshot, threatening to take her business elsewhere if shes not served soon.. I turned to her and said " If it were you up there ringing up all these people would you appreciate a attitude like that? If you have no more patience than this perhaps you should shop elsewhere and spare us all your dramatics". sheesh! Today I opted to stand behind a elderly lady with many items in her cart.. I found it nice feeling to help her stack her heavier items on the conveyor and reload them to her cart..especially after talking so rudely to that annoying lady earlier. After ringing up my own purchases, and leaving with one less arm and leg * rimshot*.. exiting this mission will prove to be the greatest task yet.. for its snowed in the time I was inside store and little shopping cart wheels do not good snowtires make.. weighted down with groceries the cart wheels sink into the depths of the fresh fallen flakes.. questions the lord.. how out of shape do you think I am. the aerobic workout unburring the car wasn't enough now im getting great upper body flexes pushing this metalic basket to my car.. which WHAT WAS I THINKING parking a mile away.. Miss " oh the walk will do me good" .. UGH!
old man winter comes up to bite my cheeks and blow my hair like medusa as I struggle to load all the supplies before my fingers lose feeling from the cold..I battle the traffic once more so many ppl in a hurry to go nowhere fast.. once home the repeated trips to and from car to haul in the contents of supplies, careful sync timming is impressively done to manuever my way around the dog and through the door before it shuts again on each trip, unload the items and put them away. No fame and glory is given for this completed adventure .. but I collapse happily in just the thought "It's done" :D

Todays Poem:

Untitled

I started down the long narrow way
my four wheels turning slow
you have to watch the other ones
who dont know where to go

I have hardly even started
when I see it - traffic clutter
I work my way around them all
as people's anger sputters

I see that now Im half way through
I might just get this done
I've nearly completed this task to do
and I haven't crashed into anyone

Then I pull my heavy load
into a waiting line
I look for something constructive to do
while I wait and pass the time

Just a few minutes more
and then my wheels I can park it
for I'll have survived another day
of shopping at the supermarket!

Thank you for reading

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

This was really cute. I don't miss the days of running out in the snow to obtain needed supplies. I'm glad you were able to make light of it and come home to relax. Any hot cocoa at the end of this line? :) That always makes the cold go away quickly for me!

Take care,
Eric

January 29, 2007 at 3:52:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home