Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Respectable Names

Hi there ! *does a turning spin* Yep! As you can visualize its really me.. I know .. I was in a blog slump again! I like to write when I have something worth sharing .. not just write .. to post everyday.. for those of you who come and check this blog for anything new faithfully.. I salute and respect you !! Speaking of respect this brings me to my blog post idea ...

I recently read a article in the newspaper.. was it a Dear Abby column or a local community column.. of where in the paper I dont recall however the topic was the improperness of addressing a group of mixed genders as " You guys". Much opinion was expressed in this
article for how women were finding more and more offense to be referred to as "you guys".

As I read this article , I found myself cringing for I too have greeted a room of mixed genders as " hi you guys" .. not once did I think it to be offending the ladies of the room. As I continued on further in this article I thought .. isnt it a bit turn of the tables.. or ironic .. or whatever you would prefer to label it .. that for as much toil and effort women of society have put toward breaking the glass ceiling there would be such fuss made over the collective " you guys" greeting. Does it threaten the idenity of a woman to be addressed in that manner??

One more example of how the power of words can effect a persons feelings. I can think of many far worse words that have been applied to address the female population of our planet that would no doubt be quite offensive .. but I struggle to see in the approach of a collective group greeting how "you guys" should be taken harshly. How about you ? Does your opinion differ
I'm not saying my opinion is right .. or wrong .. its just .. my opinion. What's yours?


Todays Poem:

See a crowd , greet hello
but just how, I do not know
Hiya folks might play it safe
but if not all parents .. then its too late

Hey there friends could work I assume
unless their all strangers that fill the room
Greetings peeps could fit fairly well
chatting with Easter chicks in a padded cell

Salutations Society!! You could say with a smile
but the time for reply could take quite a while
I guess its the best , although not exciting or fun
to simply address and say " Hello Everyone! "

Thank you for reading.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy Goulet said...

I'm ok with "hi guys". I just like being acknowledged :-)

February 27, 2008 at 10:26:00 AM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

meh... I think there are such bigger problems in the world that it seems silly to get in a fuss over "guys" as a generic term. It's not about the words, but the intent behind them. I doubt many people truly mean to exclude the ladies when using that term. Ironically, despite my disdain toward making issues of little things, I use "all" or "people", now that I think of it. At least in text -- I think it's "everyone" in person.

*HUGS!*
Eric

February 28, 2008 at 7:19:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sporked said...

The "Hi Guys" discussion takes me back to my school French classes. I always thought it odd that in French, we were taught to refer to groups of women using female terms, male in male terms, and mixed groups in male terms ("Even if there's a thousand women and one guy" my teacher would say). I always thought it was the strangest thing until I realized that we tend to do the same in English

March 2, 2008 at 2:55:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never found anything wrong with the using "guys" as a generic term and frequently do myself. But I wonder how I would feel if I was in the room and someone came in and said "Hey ladies!, how you?"

May 26, 2008 at 6:00:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home