Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Good Penmanship

Hello! Yes....sigh... I seem to always start out my posts with apologetic excuses for lack of posting .. and todays entry .. seems no exception :) But here is the rambling thought that popped into my head and triggered the notion for a blog entry .


I was at the auto shop this week , signing a credit card reciept for car repairs.. I grabbed the pen and set to signing my name ... when "it" happens... what "it" is .. I cannot explain but its that
thing... that ... occurance.. that finds me unable to write my name in good penamanship. You know what Im talking about ... we scribble our names down in such rushed fashion or annoyed haste at the debt we just commited ourselves to that .. our handwriting takes on that of a new rollercoaster ride blueprint. I can sit and address Christmas cards and have the most legiable handwriting... but task me to pen my name on a reciept or document and I'm Sally Scribble.

So the thought occured to me to ask .... just how important is good penmanship? Doctors write illegiably (except to the nurses who decifer it .. I wonder if theres a secret underground covert training facility to teach them to break the scrawled instruction code ) ... and the world seems to turn and move on .... when reading a application... or a filed document how important is it to have good penmanship...? What do you think ??

In closing.. I've already asked a few of my friends this question, however I think it might be interesting to see what others think as well ... If you could make up your own personalized 12 Days of Christmas.. what would you pick to be your 12 days.?

Thanks so much for reading!


Todays Poem:

Jotted hand quickly scribes
cross the T's and dot the I's
loop and flow the lines precise
sign my name so very nice

High and low the pen does travel
creating a line to never unravel
second gaze at my completion
has me wishing that writngs deletion

Scribbled text my name is inked
my good penmanship suddenly extinct
right there on the dotted line
my scribbled name I did sign

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I was approached at my previous job to write labels for Christmas cards to the elderly (a volunteer project for our group). They said that I had nice handwriting. I thought they were crazy. Later on, the woman who'd asked me admitted they just couldn't get anyone else to do it. haha!

I think the ability to write clearly is very important. Doing it on a regular basis, not so much as long as the person who needs to read it is able to. As for my signature, it absolutely cannot be read. I'm OK with that because I think it makes it harder to fake. :)

December 14, 2007 at 12:50:00 PM EST  
Blogger Amy Goulet said...

No matter how bad my handwritting the bank still seems to cash my checks :p

December 14, 2007 at 3:31:00 PM EST  
Blogger Coyote said...

Back when I did all my engineering drawings by hand, with pencils, my handwriting was machine-perfect. Computer design has reduced it into a bizarre scribble... but fortunately it's confined to a few personal letters, and a few thousand Post-It notes, every year!

December 18, 2007 at 10:50:00 AM EST  
Blogger Alan Hearn said...

I can't read my own handwriting, much to the chagrin of my 5th grade teacher. I blame it on being left handed and having tendinitis in both hands.

Banks have no problem cashing my checks. The amount, however, may not necessarily be what I specified.

December 19, 2007 at 8:22:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you, hon! I'm the same way... At one point in my life, someone said "It doesn't need to be legible, just unique. In fact, it should be uncopyable." Well, my signature certainly is that, and when I sign my last name, it's pretty hard to tell what it really says. But it's unique, and matches my driver's license!

December 20, 2007 at 4:14:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home