Saturday, December 29, 2007

Virtual Morality

Hello!

Okay so picture this ........

Your going along down a road .... you see this pretty cool looking house... you are amazed at its design, curious about what it looks like inside... you go up to the front door ... open it... and walk inside ... exploring all around the rooms contained inside ...

Are you sitting there thinking.. you cant do that! How rude! Invasion of privacy .. breaking and entering??.....at the least trespassing! and in the real
world all would be accurate. But what about in virtual worlds. Is there the same
level of respect and morality for property, possesions, people... in virtual enviroments?

We see ban lines and security systems with an annoying frequency in online world of Second Life , I thought .. why do folks feel they need this here.. and I was taken back in memory to the times I'd gone "exploring" and entered places.. tromped across virtual lawns.. and sat on steps not meant to be public area.. all in the name of fun.. to explore.. enjoy.

So my question is ... Is there a virtual morality? Does etiquette we freely and with respect give to souls in rl .. carry over to a virtual enviroment. We like to look like RL *although some of us *me included* have fabricated our virtual self to be far more attractive on the outside than our rl self * lol , we like to create things in virtual world that are like rl ... fashions, home designs, products, etc.. we even have started seeing corporate presence of rl companies in virtual realm so if all those things carry over.. should morality as well? Has it already?? What do YOU think? I have no right or wrong answer to offer here.. simply a observation that I felt made a decent blog ramble .. I hope if nothing else .. you enjoyed the ramble :) Thank you for reading.


Todays Poem:

Privacy Protected
Personal space assumed
Do we really have control
of who invades our room?

Security lines are erected
ban list starts to grow
is there a proper do's and dont's
on virtually where to go ?

Explore the builds and landscapes
freely its space we walk about
is this no big deal to all
or of morality is there a doubt ?

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I'm one post behind... but I'll comment on your New Year's post too at some point. :)

I have no issue with strangers walking about in the Hawthouse -- but it's a "communal" place to start with. And you can't exactly steal anything in SL, so there's no worries there. But I can understand why people want a private place where they can be uninterrupted.

I think that the feeling of "violation" that comes with a RL trespassing can carry over. Maybe people are creeped out by the presence of strangers being in their homes in their absence. Who knows?

Personally, I'd never blockade my own property (even if I had any that weren't group-owned). But I see why others might.

January 2, 2008 at 1:10:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home