Sunday, March 11, 2007

Kindness Of Strangers

Okay , yes I know its been a few days again since my last post! I really must work on getting more frequent in these writings, *insert excuses here* and so as you can see thats why I've not posted in a while :)

Today I'm wanting to write about the kindness of strangers, I recently was out at the supermarket, if you are a regular reader to this blog you know how I "love" to do the grocery shopping adventure *smirks*, still favoring my sore arm the normal grocery day turns into a physical endurance test rivaling a rocky movie. When your used to having two hands to perform simple tasks with one and a half ( weak strength) it humbles you in a hurry. I was struggling to put up my items from the cart on the conveyor at the store.. not so much a struggle as it just took a lot longer.. in the middle of this task the lady behind me steps forward and starts to assist me in my tasks, and smiles at me. Now I know what your thinking.. she was in a hurry and I was too darn slow ... but I am going to prefer to think more positively that she was a kind hearted person who just wanted to help, regardless of the reason my day brightened by her kindness. I got up to pay for my items and was fumbing to get out my cash to pay, who designs purses with so many snaps, buttons and hooks!!! the cashier whos only job is to ring up my items walked around and bagged all my food and put the bags in my cart. Again.. was my slow pace holding up the line? I could think that but as I hear the " Have A Nice Day" cast to me as I exit I prefer to think it was just a random act of kindness.

Ive reached my car and unloaded my cart, all ready to head out, when I see this elderly lady struggling to push her walker / shopping cart through the mushy slush.. shes doing "ok" at it but she looks like shes tired. I walk up and ask her if she needs any assistance.. The warm smile she flashed as she accepted nearly melted me!
she leaned on my good arm side as we guided her walker through the slush to the entrance, the gesture to help done I bid her "Have A Nice Day" and she says to me " I just did! Thank you ". I know its such a simple thing to say but Wow did I feel so good!!

Kindness of Strangers, the phrase "Little things mean a lot" comes to mind as fitting! :) A random given greeting, an assistance of help, simply a smile as you pass by a stranger, little things.. that mean a lot :D A compliment freely given for no self gain at all. I always love the driver who stops to let me enter the lane from the parking lot Im exiting, that unwritten rule of the customary "wave of thanks" for the gesture. Total strangers.. performing choreographed sentiment that leaves the day just a little bit nicer. :) I know I sound like a whimsical daydreamer whos unaware of what the "real world" can be like. I know theres examples out there that would far outnumber any random acts of kindness I could list, but I like to think on the positive side :) Here's hoping you find random acts of kindness in your day! Thank you for reading :D

Todays Poem: ( Another poem for my Dad, I miss you everyday the kindest of hearts )

Untitled-

When I was but a little child
so innocent and young
how I loved to play with Dad
it was always so much fun

When I was but an older one
now well past the age of ten
I'd always turn to Dad
for advice now and then

When I was but a teenage youth
struggling in the "rat race"
for peace of mind and comfort
I'd always look to Dad's kind face

Now I am a woman
with little ones of my own
I can now look back and see
just how much I've grown

When I was but a child
with so much in life to learn
I was blessed with a Dad
who was both loving and also stern

I was but a child once
and now I am full grown
my boys are but a child once
I'll teach them all that I have known

Now as I raise my little ones
share all the lessons that I've had
to have them grow up strong and bright
would make me very glad

And if I'd do a good job
and one day asked what advice I'd had
I'd simply stand and proudly say
I just picked it up from Dad!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

Those are wonderful stories! It's amazing how a good feeling can be passed along. There was this old commercial that it reminds me of. I don't remember what product it was for, but it shows a person who holds the door open for someone, and they smile at each other. The person who had the door held open for them then gives a cab they were going to take to another person, and they smile at each other. The person who got in the cab tips the flower lady extra money, and they smile... And so on... Like the butterfly effect, a good feeling can get passed on from one person to the next. And none of them know it's happening. So, next time you have a chance to give someone a hand or make their day easier, don't be surprised if you've started a chain reaction that makes a whole bunch of people's days. It's never a bad idea to brighten someone's day :)

March 14, 2007 at 11:29:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home