Thursday, May 31, 2007

Child's Walk

Hello!

Its ironic sometimes how life has a way of surprising you. I was having one of those rare days where I felt the need to organize the clutter I call my desk , including my desk drawers. Fussing over selecting proper places for all my pack rat treasures I happen across a poem Id writen after seeing a family at the mall several years ago. They seemed so loving and close and I began to ponder the many roles represented. How many roles we play in the course of one lifetime.

I have myself, been a Daughter, a girlfriend, a wife, a mother, *with motherhood we all know comes every profession under the sun * well okay not EVERY profession I cant picture most moms on the corner swinging their dishtowels and heckling Hey baby wanna time out!! *wink wink* but I digress... * Ive been a friend.. and not by my own choice Ive been viewed in the role of a foe. Ive been a trendsetter, and a follower, a office aid, librarian, tutor,the list I'm sure with a bit more thought could go on and on. With each role my life grew, and with that growth I did as well

As I reread this poem, I found it interesting , even though Id myself written it so long ago , I took away new meaning from the words and that I thought was kinda cool!

So here for you to read or scroll down and end the misery *lol* is the poem I wrote so long ago. I hope your lifes roles provide you with as much joy and growth as mine have and wish you all the best as you continue to "role" on in life.

Bear in mind I wrote it long ago .. before i was ummm rhyming better .. .*blush* ..
also it has kind of a 'deep" theme in that steps = time not literal steps.. ok enough rambles..

Todays Poem:

Childs Walk

I started to walk with my child today
he's wee small yet,not much to say
his feet are just shy of touching the ground
and he stops every few seconds to smell all the flowers around

A few steps later, to my surprise and delight
my child has shot up great in his height
A little ways further up the path we go
since he's been in school just see how fast he grows

I'm full of joy and pride when my child speaks my name
as with enthusiasm he rambles on about how he won the baseball game
Our feet together strong and steady as we travel on our way
He's full of smiles as he tells me of the date he had the other day

I look up at him and my how much he's grown
So proud that he's finished school, sad that he's going off on his own.
The next few steps are faster, he tries not to get too far ahead
He wishes he could visit more, but things are busy since he's wed.

And as we continue walking, he sees my head hang down
He tells me of a wee new babe that turns my frown upside down
A few steps more and with my steps growing slow
my older age is starting to show

Were nearly at the end of our walk, when my child proudly says he's a Dad!
A beautiful precious healthy boy, is what he and his wife have had.
as we round the last bend of this walk my child and I
I realize how fast time passed and I fight the urge to cry

I have to tell my child I can walk with him no more
My body is so tired and weak and sitting in this chair,
my feet are just shy of touching the floor
uncertain now what my path has in store

My child smiles and puts his son upon my knee
and begins to push my chair around as my eyes weep with glee
when we've stopped to smell the flowers growing all around
With eyes we express our grattitude, speaking not a sound.

So when I thought my walking days, with my child at an end
how blessed I found my life, when I see my child... had grown into my friend!

Thank you for reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

This one really strikes at your heart. Growing old is such a fearful concept, and this poem makes it seem so heartwarming. I honestly think this one is one of the best I read. :)

June 3, 2007 at 10:34:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home