Monday, June 18, 2007

35th Post

My my my, does that even seem possible? I have had 35 ideas of something to say to put on this blog? Amazing! Or the info on my blog is glitched and Im far from being that sucessful in posting frequency , either or .. Hooray! A new post!

Lets talk today about Excercise! Its easy peasy to say the cliche's , "Its good for you! " , "You'll feel so much better!" ,and the ever famous and in my case most appropriate " No pain no gain". Im sure the intent of that is no pain of the workout, no gain of a good body shape. In my expierence though its only half right.
Oh sure theres pain or exhaustion in the toils of the workout but the only gaining is me still finding the scale number the same every weigh in. Im not gaining.. but its not dropping anymore either. * sigh*

I saw a excercise video commercial recently that had me pondering.. what is the target audience of these type of tapes. Not a single one of those featured in the video had a ounce of flab on them. All beautifuly thin people. I think If Im overweight the last thing Id want is to watch a bunch of chiseled sculpted bodies bounce around showing off all the things I dont have . I understand they are possibly meant as motovation, the ol' " Wow if i do this I could look like that too! " and that would be a good ploy to sell more tapes, however.. It'd be nice to see a heavy person on there. Equal opportunity workout babes and beaus lol Show me the person built like me doing the excecises.. that might induce motovation, 15 min of watching stepford aerobic barbie and Im just wanting to sit in the recliner eatin little debbies and cheering " you go girl... Ill just umm.. take five.."

When you see little blonde barbie girl jump and bring her knee up to her chest with all the grace and finesee of a prima ballerina.. then bend down and touch her toes and NOT make that " UGGGGH!" groan so many of us do .. how is that a positive towards good health when your struck with the realized thought after trying it .... I cant do half the things on this tape right now!! Its a interesting test of willpower being at those crossroads. Some sink to depression *im too heavy to even do the workout to get thin* and some grasp the positive outlook of .. I just need to keep at it, then I can do it. I will never be the barbie babe on the video others will envy but perhaps one day when the pigs fly over the rainbow I can look upon myself and see that hourglass figure .. without needing to lift or seperate anything first *giggles*

I have been working hard lately at working out.. being far more dilligent of my dedication to put in the time...to get my health in shape, sure I'd like to look good and have the WOW! whiplash double take figure. Its societys most admired image, however I am not that girl. I am ME. Gone is the goal to have the perky bouncy mounds on the chest, replaced is the goal to just keep them above the waist level. No longer do I want sexy hips that swing but hope instead to one day sit with sexy in a swing :D Where once my intent was to have drop dead buns.. Im now perfectly content to simply drop dead on my buns at the end of the day. Good health is important, keeping the heart working smoothly.. thinking looking the barbie doll physique is important.. not for me ..my hearts not in it :)

What are your views on good health and physique?

Todays Poem:
Up up up the hill
steep climbing as if hiking
we've worked up such a sweat you see,
and all we're doing is cycling.

Up and down our feet go round
on the pedals as they spin
racing down the other side
we dont realize just how far we've been,

and so we journey along the trail
with nature as our companion
and with every stride we take
for our healths sake , we're a champion!

It's fun for all the ages,
so if, for it , you have a liking
why not try a new hobby,
and take your family cycling!!

Thanks for reading :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

Wonderful post! I'm glad you're keeping at it, and for the right reasons too. I like to worry about my appearance until I like what I look like. It might not be the Ken doll ideal that seems to be everyone's goal, but as long as it makes me happy to see myself in a mirror I believe I'm doing what's needed. However, then there's health reasons for staying fit too. Those are more what I should be worrying about :)

June 18, 2007 at 11:45:00 AM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

Well, we can't all have a perfect body like mine! Hey! Stop laughing!!! STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!

Heehee.

Anyway... I know what beautiful is. It's what I see in my wife when she cares for the kids (or me!). It's what I feel when I come home exhausted from work, but know I'm tired from doing something I love. It's what I get from you when I read an entry like this.

We must accept who we are. Doesn't mean we can't improve on it, but know your best and strive to be it. Sounds cheesy, but it's true.

I have a friend who is the Barbie-doll type. You would think life is easy on her. But, it's not. She's been chased and lied to by so many insincere guys she can no longer tell a good guy from a good liar. On the flipside, I think she has trouble appreciating the good guys because she knows there's always another waiting for her if it gets "inconvenient."

After a few conversations about her love life, it sounds good in the short term -- never worrying about being alone for long -- but I'd rather the kind of beauty that comes from within. The kind that you posess is far more valuable than the kind that can be spotted from across a crowded bar. Your friends can see your beauty from across the country!

June 19, 2007 at 1:42:00 AM EST  
Blogger Coyote said...

[keeping the heart working smoothly] That's what got me thinking, after my brother's recent heart surgery. I'll let my avatar worry about lookin' good (!) -- I just don't want to drop dead, not just yet. Turns out it doesn't take that long to get some cardio capacity back up where it belongs ... but it did take some diligence! You go, girl :-)

June 19, 2007 at 2:30:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what I found in relation to exercise and generally taking care of my body: The desire to look good just isn't enough motivation to make me do it. For one thing, it just doesn't seem realistic to turn myself into Brad Pitt, for another, it obviously isn't important enough to me to get me really working on it.

What motivates me is fun and a sense of well-being. For fun, I do things like hiking and cycling, because I just love being outdoors, enjoying nature. It's a nice side effect that these are things that do me some good.

I found out about well-being when I stopped smoking 25 years ago. The street that led up to the university cafeteria where I had lunch most days in the town where I was studying was a pretty steep one, and I usually managed about a third of it before I had to get off my bicycle and push it the rest of the way. A fortnight after I stopped smoking, I sailed up that street as if it were nothing at all! It was such a hilarious feeling to suddenly be able to do things that seemed impossible only a few days before.

Nowadays, I spend so many hours a day hunched in front of my pc that some regular exercise is necessary for me just to avoid pain - in my back for example. I get a bit lazy about that in the winter, with appropriate results, and I need to crank myself up a bit in the spring when the pool opens to get started again. Once I start swimming regularly again, the sense of well-being in my whole body that results from it is so enjoyable that I can't get enough of it.

I'm now swimming a mile a day. I feel good in my body, and I start seeing nice side effects when I look into the mirror: My posture is getting better, and my muscles show some visible signs of being used. (Actually, there IS a Brad Pitt in me ... he's just hidden under some other stuff!)

Love your post and your poem (mine is up to 7 lines now *hanging my head in shame).

June 20, 2007 at 4:53:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home