Friday, July 13, 2007

10 Day Blessing ( Part One )

Hello! Wow! Its been a while since I have posted on this blog, and albeit I know thats not particularly nothing new for me .. I actually have a good reason for the absence this time... I was on vacation! Not just any vacation but 10 days of blessings in Paradise! Oh I had the most marvelous time! I kept a journal of my advenutures and the many delights that I encountered upon this journey and I will post bits and pieces here to share.

This will be over time of course as thats a heck of a lot of typing!

Tuesday- DAY ONE
Day one of my long awaited summer trip to Oregon and Washington. Up at 5 a.m. EST and departing my hometown, enroute to the airport to catch my flight, traffic at that early hour is light and uneventful. My second time to fly in my life I'm not without my nerves and jitters but hope they will soon pass just as they did last time

Checking in at the Northwest Airlines Counter I receive my boarding tickets and the news that my flight is already on a two hour departure delay ...*sigh*.. Good thing I brought along a thick book. Small town airports are often quiet but at six thirty in the morning , the chatterbox in me longs for some friendly folk.. Id even settle for awake grumpy ones ha ha ha ha After a two hour passing of time by reading the "Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy" book Jaycatt had sent to me for Christmas last year, and a phone call to Patrick to chat and explain about the flight delay, we were finally cleared for boarding! YAY!!

This plane was larger than the one I'd flown on during my Australia trip *first leg* It was a Boeing 757, 2 seats in the row wide, I was in seat 10D a window seat! How lucky was that , but just as before.. my seat was on the wing.. I am becoming fast aquainted with the take off and landing workings of plane wings and flying.haha

I was sharing my row with a very sweet old lady who bless her heart, tolerated my rambles of conversation beautifully and even chatted a few lines back herself * when she could get a word in edgewise * :D We flew to MN, the view was great, the thick puffy cloud blanket that had been the constant view now thinned and as we descended further, disapaited entirely revealing a patchwork landscape of green fields, blue swimming pools and a maze of many roadways. Some confusion on my part with my ticket, I was thinking my depart time from MN was about 1 p.m. I tried to call Jaycatt again to let him know my progress however kept getting a recording it was out of service, a second check in with Patrick finds bless his heart that he himself contacted Jaycatt on my beyhalf! So my worry to inform Jay is removed, thanks Patrick hon! Your so great!!

We disembarked in MN at Gate C, A quick check of info monitors showed my next leg of trip departing from gate F. I had a bit of a walk ahead of me but plenty of time.. there were many stretches of conveyors that would propel you quickly, there were golf carts driven by employees like taxi cabs to ferry you to various gates, and good heavens!!! even a monorail tram to cart you to various destinations.. however thinking I'd lots of time to kill till my flight time I opted to walk and pretend it was my usual treadmill time, a second look at the info monitors as I strolled my way along showed instead of the 1:15 p.m. depart time I was now departing at 11:25, I quickly calculated the time difference to realize I had 20 min to get to gate F 14 and I was currently at gate D! I hustled and arrived at the gate just in time to hear final boarding call.. I shudder to think if id stopped to eat and use restroom as had been my thoughts, I'd have missed my flight!

It's been amusing to see many of the same people from my hometown flight * first leg* on this flight to Portland, and whats more amusing is they have all been assigned seats very near my own..Its like a little travel group of familiar faces of people... I dont even know .. Strange eh? Speaking of seats, mine is 23C, A isle seat and I can assuredly say a definite position of pros and cons on this subject.
Pros:
I can put my leg out in the isle ot stretch on the long flight, its proven very handy to be on the isle for when I finally got brave enough to walk the long isle of the plane to a very much needed restroom.. ( I shall put here, only a notation of the slight squeal that was heard from the restroom while I was in there peeing and we hit some bad turbulence ) Beverages served are complimentary so I enjoyed a nice cold tomato juice! Food sadly though is pay to enjoy. $5.00 gets you a box of snacks, everything from Goldfish crackers to stick sausage and various other "munchies", you could get trailmix or pringles for $2.00. Exact change was stressed as the preferred payment and I having nothing smaller than a ten dollar bill, simply made the most of my tomato juice :)

Getting back to the pros and cons of isle seating a DEFINITE Con: My poor elbow has been hit, bumped, slammed, nudged, budged, or collided into more times than I care to count * whimpers* Its now 2:55 p.m. EST and were not too far from PORTLAND! Portland Yay! Where I will get to FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY meet Jaycatt! Its been such a long trip in planning, I'm very excited to at long last meet him. WHY Oh why is it always the last few moments of a trip that seem to take forever!

P O R T L A N D!!! At 12:50 p.m. EST we landed in Portland, Oregon! I would be remiss to go a line further without describing the awesome view I saw as we entered closer this destination! The pilot informed us to look out the right of the plane to view Mt. Rainer and Mt. St. Helens side by side in the distance on the horizon.. they were snow capped and beautiful, with wonderful puffs of clouds playing all around them, then just as Im getting lost in the view of seeing my first mountain in person the pilot breaks over the intercom to say " And in about 30 seconds on your left a up close and personal view of Mt Hood" I turned to direct my gaze to the left and found myself making a bit of a spectacle of myself when I quite in shock exclaimed " OH MY GOD!! Look at that! " . you know one of those overly helpful bits of advice just in case any of the creaning passengers gawking to get a peek out the window missed the lound pilots annoucement to look *makes sarcastic face* .. umm yeah ..well anyway..
Mt Hood, stood majestic, snow capped, and so close I could see detail on the rocks! An Amazing sight, I was instantly in awe. A self professed rambler I could only just sit there with my jaw dropped open, eyes blinking and yep... for once.. speechless!

Disembarking at the Portland Airport, its beautiful weather, the skys clear and blue and the suns shinning, its in the mid 70's range temp wise. I entered the airport my mind thinking "Im here ! whew! Im done! I made it!" but reality pokes my brain and says " ummm you still have to find baggage claim and jaycatt "

I started my way down the isle following the signs to baggage claim, seeing a exit sign one way and baggage claim the other I opted to explore the exit path just to see if it was also option. Midway down this path, I see a familiar and much wonderful face! Smiling and walking toward me ...its JAYCATT!!! A long awaite and massive hug is given! and received :)), smiles will be a permenent facial expression for me for days now! He looks GREAT!


More to follow later ....... Thank you so much for reading :)

Todays Poem:

Hurry scurry take a flight
views to see are quite a sight
patchwork landscape, mountain scene
make eyes sparkle and smiles gleem

meeting people, friendly faces
traveling like me to far away places
Seeing sights that are so pretty
the best so far the sight of "kitty" :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaycatt said...

It was great to see ya, I had the best time during your visit! Great blog post too, I really feel like I'm there when I'm reading it, and I just started to be in it! hehe

Looking forward to part 2! ^^

July 13, 2007 at 9:55:00 PM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

I'm so envious of you both! I can't wait to meet you at SLCC. I look forward to hearing more about this trip!

Take care,
Eric

July 14, 2007 at 1:50:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home