Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Second Look

Have you ever taken a second look at anything? Theres two kinds of second looks I think.. the first kind is more of a double take.. you see something thats so odd, or unique you quickly look back at it a second time to convince yourself its real. A outrageous outfit.. a dog ridding a skateboard... a halloween costume where the person holds their head. All examples of one kind of second look.

The second kind is the take another look at something... or see it again with a fresh perspective. So often we get so accustumed to the way things are around us it becomes very easy to take things for granted.. until along comes circumstances that warrant us looking again .. and its amazing the new views seen on old sights.

The first example that comes to mind is the age old cliche.. stop and smell the roses... so many of us to and fro with busy thoughts in our minds.. the days agenda ...the morning meeting, what to make for dinner... how many notice the smile from the counterperson who made your morning coffee, or the kindness of nice manners from the attendent you paid for gas.... do we notice the rich green color on the tree growing along the road.. or the wild flowers beaming bright with blooms?

If a homeless person bumps you and holds out a hand, are you annoyed and keep walking or do you take that second look and see a person, needing a hand and drop some money? When I got the blessing to visit the pacific northwest I saw sights and views more beautiful than I could have ever dreamed.. it made me start to wonder about my own "home" and its views and the things here I see daily but simply look right through. A sky line I'd complained was too flat and held no views .. makes the most beautiful canvas for sunrise's and sunsets.. the empty field I once thought of as nothing there.. holds court to the most beautiful wildflowers that stretch up to greet the sunshine! and on a more personal note I took a second look at me .. where I had been feeling woeful at the upcoming decade number of age Im soon to reach.. I was thinking my role.. my importance in life was nearing completion.. a lost feeling overcame me and I couldnt see what was there .. but taking a second look.. I see a rich life worth celebrating, and a new beginning of great adventures..

So in closing of this deep and aimless ramble.. if you find yourself looking upon something and seeing nothing...........take a second look... you'll be amazed the things you will find when the right point of view :)

Thank you for reading.

Todays Poem:

Darkness fills the empty night
there is nothing I can see
but wait upon a second look
fireflies play with glee

Horizon lines lay straight and low
no views to catch the eye
suddenly fill with vivid hues
such beauty there to spy

Aggressive drivers on the freeway
merge before lane ends..
slowing down to let me in
the kindness of unknown friends

Rush to go to and fro
so many things to do
but in your haste time dont waste
stop and take a second view

Amazing is the sights to see
things for granted that we took
treasured now once again
the blessings of a second look.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You know, I felt the same way when you visited. I've found that, being empathic as I am, I find it easiest to connect and understand people by putting myself in their shoes and seeing things through their eyes. That's why, even if I've done something countless times, if I get the chance to share it with someone who hasn't seen it, I jump at the chance. Mainly because it means that I'll get to experience it again for the first time too. For instance, I love the movie Airplane! and have seen it roughly 50 times. However, if I ever met someone who had not seen it, I would rush right out to make plans to watch it with them!

When you visited here, I got to see things I don't normally appreciate through your eyes, as if I was seeing them for the first time. So I totally understand what you describe :)

July 18, 2007 at 6:09:00 PM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

You and Jay put it so well. When I lived in New York, I never went to the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty. Then, along came someone new to the place, and I visited the city from a new perspective. My prom date was a friend who came in from upstate New York. That weekend, I discovered more interesting things about the city than I ever had before. It opened up a new doorway.

Hon, with every door that closes, another opens. You invest so much into your kids that you begin to feel that's your life's purpose. Well, eventually, they grow up, and it's time to cash in on that investment. You watch them succeed and raise families of their own. You receive a little instead of always giving. And you learn that you will always be needed. You are not nearing completion... you are nearing emergence.

July 19, 2007 at 12:37:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home