Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Audio Compliment or Atrocious Attitude

Hey! You came back... thanks!

The other day, I had something happen to me which I personally found to be a pleasant feeling, but it did get me thinking and thought why not post about it to
get other points of view.

The other day as I was coming out of the public library, I heard a man whistle, now my first reaction was to look around me .. for surely a whistle at my age.. in my shape... couldnt have been at me .. but sure enough it was!! A man passing by me on the street had whistled at me and smiled. I kept walking saying nothing but I must confess.. the instant warm feeling of "wow ...I got whistled at" was pretty surprising. As I drove home I thought about this.. what is that borderline between a Audio compliment such as a whistle .... and a Atrocious Attitude such as a cat call or more. What makes one woman smile and feel good she was thought of in a attractive way and another feel offended and angry??

When did the whistle first get started? Is it the same or different for men? If a woman whistles at a man is it any more or less a compliment or crudeness than if a man does so to a woman? If a man whistles at a lady he is "interested", if a lady whistles at a man she is thought of as "wild" or "daring"??? In the grand scheme of life is this of any real importance? Probably not , but its interesting to see the way actions are preceived in the minds of society.

Im not saying there is a right or wrong to this topic, just pondering what other points of view might bring :) Thanks for reading

Todays Poem:

Dear ole Whooty Owl
sitting on your perch
what is it about your sound
for humans always works

Woot hoot whistle smile
compliment the ladies style
howl, shout, bark , drool
go to far and your a fool

Receive a random whistle
and your days suddenly bright
self esteem is on the rise
you smile and feel so right

Audio Compliment..
friend or foe ..
Atrocious Attitude....
'tis only YOU who truly knows

5 Comments:

Blogger Coyote said...

Well, I didn't get any whistles at lunchtime today, so I can't quite compare ;-) Anyway, I suspect it's very much related to your mood at the moment -- and whether the attention goes over the top. Tomorrow you may want to slug the next guy that dares to "just pucker up and blow"!

August 9, 2007 at 1:17:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations :-) A whistle may not be the most cultured kind of compliment, but the great thing is that it is such a spontaneous one. It's a sudden reaction that flashes through the veil of polite restraint that we normally hide behind. And isn't it great to be the kind of person who is able to enjoy such a compliment? Some are too easily embarrassed or too insecure to enjoy it; some are just too complacent. Here's to those who can laugh and enjoy!
As to the man/woman question, I guess nowadays it's even more accepted for a woman to whistle after a man than the other way around. A man who does it might be seen as a primitive macho; a woman who does it might be admired for her self-assured candor. Either way, the person on the receiving end wins!

August 9, 2007 at 1:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger Rosa Rambles said...

Oh wonderful! Bless your hearts both of you ! I really appreciate the comments Ive been wondering what other points of view would shed on this topic! You both brought great perspective for me and I enjoyed reading your comments greatly! Thanks again!!

Rosa

August 9, 2007 at 1:56:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I have to Side with Coy, I didn't get any whistles either, I sure would have blushed had I gotten one ;)

As far as the feeling, if it is done in good taste, without the usual derogatory comments that some make to go along with it, it can be quite welcome. The other way its just plain bad. And holds no allure. But as a Guy, I will take them all. With or without comments :)

August 13, 2007 at 8:22:00 PM EST  
Blogger Eric said...

In 1999, I went to an office meeting at a department outside my own. Every time I made eye contact with this one woman, she smiled and winked. Confident as I am, I would immediatley look away, haha! Afterward, I walked around on a high for DAYS.

So, when I joined that department in 2000 (after she'd moved on, btw), I eventually made a comment about it to my boss. "OH MY GOD!" he said, laughing, "She winks at EVERYONE! It's just her way of being friendly."

She showed up at a bunch of social functions with our workgroup, and it became a running joke between the two of us (yeah... he totally told her about it).

But you know, when someone finds you attractive, you're entitled to whatever high you get from it. You've impressed someone. In your case, I'm sure this won't be a unique experience.

August 16, 2007 at 1:17:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home