Thursday, August 30, 2007

Overdue Overview

Its been a few days now since Ive returned from my most enjoyable weekend at the SLCC and long overdue to blog an overview about my adventures.

Train Trip Trials:

After having my last two trips be the wear and stress of catching a plane, delayed flights, canceled flights and running to catch a flight I was rather looking forward to the leisurely pace of train travel... I arrived to the station which heres a big plus.. leaves from my own hometown.. no driving half hour to hour just to get to depature spot! My train was due to arrive at 3 p.m... a nice convient time to leave.. not to early.. not to late .. except .. the train was late. They never tell you why its late .. only a curt announcement that train number xxoo is delayed. The mind is free to imagine whatever scenarios it wishes as to the late arrived. However, once my train arrived I was amazed at the mad rush of the gathered crowd to board. The way I saw it was : Theres a conductor there to see your not boarded yet.. hes not gonna let the train go till were all on ..why rush.. not to mention this is the vehicle we are about to plant our tuskus's on for the next 3 Plus hours why rush to sit down :D ... travel went along fairly smoothly until we hit the outter regions of chicago when our nice bright sunny day instantly darkened and so much so the interior lights in the train switched on .. lightning flashed like camera flashes and thunder boomed like a wicked bass line our train was clipping along at a brisk pace when suddenly you hear a loud crashing like noise and our train rocks side ot side causing the passengers to rock as well... it lasted only a moment but stayed with me quite some time as the adreniline subsided.

Pedestrian Pick Up:

Bless his heart, Patrick LaSalle had kindly agreed to pick me up at the train station and give me a ride to the hotel. Cordinating his position in a moving car with mine as a pedestrian on the sidewalk via cell phones.. provided a comical moment of the trip. A seasoned navigator giving directions to a novice with no sense of direction... you can imagine the challenge :) But we managed just fine.


Meet and Greet:
One of the most amazing things I found about the SLCC was the meet and greets! Our ID badges became the perfect conversation starters or ice breakers.. it became almost common to see total strangers walk up to one another and say ' And you are ....???" look at the badge and say " OMG!! WOW !!" and hug or instant fall into a deeply friendly conversation, when simply moments ago they were total strangers.
I found a great sense of humbleness in all the blessed souls I met, I dont think of myself as anything or anyone particularly special in the world.. so to meet folks who offer up reactions such as " OMG!! Your Rosa Gardner, I cant believe I get to meet you " or " WOW! You were on my list of "MUST MEET" people!! it leaves me most humbled and admittedly blessed to think anything I could have said or done as myself , caused anyone else to smile. It was a nice feeling. I too took away some great memories of first time meetings with long time Second life known friends. Such as EricAtRandom, Travis Lambert!!, Sumar Morgan, Moopf (this was one of my best highlights), OneBigRiver Stork, Cylindrian, Persephone, Pulaski, Garth and Pituca, Onionpencil, and more too numerous to list further. Id never been to a convention before but I likened this to a annual family reunion.. from the open friendly atmosphere.. that "acceptance" ambience... Imagine a whole weekend of thinking every new face you see is a potential friend already known.

Live Music:

Oh good heavens! If you were to plan a weekend in paradise.. it would have been the live music at SLCC. All my favorite live music performers all in one spot playing the music I love to hear! I couldnt have thought of any better place to be! Special thanks go out to my close friends Patrick and Jaycatt for allowing me to tag along for all the behind the scenes moments of the rehersal and performances! I was richly blessed by not only your generosity and kindness but the joy of your music as well.

Performers I was fortunate to enjoy were :
Patrick LaSalle, Lyndon Heart, Rick, ( Music Monkeys), Jaycatt Nico, Frogg Marlowe, Cylindrian R., Kaklick Martin, Ankari Holder, Niko Donburi, Shiger Seattle, Jaynine Scarbrough, kouroush, and more :)

Sightseeing:

I was extremely lucky to have THE BEST tour guides to go exploring with, long ago residents to the windy city I got to take in the the sights and sounds of Chicago with Patrick LaSalle and Lyndon Heart. Patrick kindly accompanied me throughout all of Grant Park, bless his heart going all the way down to Shedds Aquarium at my desire to see the architecture again.. he acted as offical photographer for my adventure and helped to make it a totally wonderful time. Patrick and Lyndon both journeyed with me to check out Millenium Park, seeing the spitting image face fountains, the cloud sculpture * aka .. the bean * the band shell, and several wonderful sights around the town! A marvelous time made so not only by the fine sights of the great city but the wonderful company of whom I was blessed to share it with. Thanks Patrick <3 and Lyndon :)


Summation:
Take one virtual realm, mix with reality in the windy city, add 1,000 people give or take ,give a dash of live music and info lectures and sprinkle in some incredible moments of warmth and laughter and let simmer for the weekend, you have a great recipe for a very enjoyable SLCC adventure! I know it was for me :)


Todays Poem:

Stormy Skies began the trip
Mother nature giving lip
Reunited with dear friends
constant smiling to see them again

Overwhelmed to meet and greet
so many faces but such a treat
breaking bonds of online
realities memories we shall find

Hearing music that rocks the place
every listner a smiling face
Virtual Exchange and Music Monkeys
playing tunes both mellow and funky

Seeing sights of far away town
taking in all the joys around
sharing the views with wonderful men
marvelous guides, Im blessed to call friends

Online to Reality a trip just four days long
Immortalized forever in memories never gone
Online to reality the lines of boundry passed
Creating special friendships we hope will always last.

Thank you for reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Rosa, it was so wonderful to meet you. One of the long-awaited highlights of the trip. :) Thanks for mentioning me in this post. SLCC was really a great event.

HUGS!!!
Eric

August 31, 2007 at 2:10:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I envy you! I wonder whether I'll ever make it to a SLCC. There is one in Germany planned for next May, but there's not a lot of point for me going there because by far most of my SL friends are all over the world, but not in my own country. But the way you describe it ... it sounds as if I just have to fly over to a SLCC in the U.S. one day. Thanks for your vivid account - when I close my eyes, I can almost see myself being there with you all! :-)

August 31, 2007 at 3:44:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home